Advice, Support and Professional DevelopmentEarly Years
Outstanding settings provide ‘An effective and well-established programme of professional development (that) helps practitioners to improve their knowledge, understanding and practice. As a result, teaching is consistently strong or improving steadily’.
(OFSTED: Early Years Inspectors handbook: 2018)
To help you achieve this, education Gateshead has created an exciting and innovative programme of training and support, with something to suit all practitioners, leaders and managers.
The Early Years’ Service Level Agreement (SLA) has been specifically designed to provide a comprehensive programme of professional development that supports high quality teaching, leadership and management. It is a programme that provides practical and creative ideas, based in established Early Years theory. It is delivered by the council’s education Gateshead service, supported by wider services, colleagues and professionals.
A core package of CPD and training which includes:
- Practical Curriculum Workshops delivered by visiting experts and linked to the seven areas of learning and development, providing you with inspiring ideas to take back to your setting.
- Training to help support children with SEN/D delivered by our Area SENCo team and Early Years assessment and intervention team
- Training to support the management of SEN/D- a series of courses designed specifically for those wishing to train to become Special Educational Needs Coordinators (SENCOs) or lead practitioners in SEND/Inclusion within their setting.
- Training to support children with English as an Additional Language Training delivered by our Ethnic Minority and Traveller Achievement Service to help you support children in your settings who have English as an additional language.
- Support for children with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities Network Meetings -A twice-yearly event, organised by our Area SENCo team, bringing leaders, managers and practitioners together to focus specifically on the support of children with SEN/D
- Support for Leaders and Managers including termly dedicated network meetings focused on setting leadership and management. Also, training sessions dedicated to leadership and management, including those delivered by experienced visiting speakers.
- Support for new and less experienced staff Including termly dedicated network meetings, designed specifically to meet the needs of new practitioners, along with a series of training sessions to familiarise and embed the EYFS.
- Annual visit from the link Early Years Teaching and Learning Consultant (except OSC providers) including an annual report
- Reduced costs for conferences and seminars organised by education Gateshead including the early years conference and priority places for our range of ICSN accredited course and discounts on the purchase of additional consultancy
Access to on line booking which includes course reminders for booked courses, as well as being able to track usage of your course subscription places. It also provides a summary of all courses staff have attended. Useful to present to OFSTED.
Telephone and e- mail support. SLA Members will have access to a web page regularly updated with
the latest news and information relating to the SLA, Early Years practice, and past and up-coming
Benefits of using our service
education Gateshead has a team of qualified early years teachers, known as Early Years Teaching and Learning Consultants.
This team already known to you and linked to your setting, work with the Early Years educational and childcare community to deliver high quality and high impact education improvement services.
The advantage of choosing us to be your provider for quality EYFS improvement is that we know your setting.
We focus on the things that make a positive difference…
- Leadership and management
- Effective and creative teaching
- Enjoyable and effective learning
- Assessment and targeted intervention
- Research and evidence based development
- Innovation and best practice
- Sharing experience and developing expertise
We work with, as well as for, the education community
- By knowing the territory
- By sharing the ambition
- By listening to customers
- By supporting directors, leaders, managers and staff to develop their organisations
- By supporting partnership
Although the early years educational and childcare landscape continues to change we aim to be a point of stability and quality. Our programme never stands still as we respond firstly to your needs while trying to anticipate the future demands made upon settings by central government policy.
The motivation for everything we do is the achievement of the young children in your care.
We believe we are much stronger when we work together and education Gateshead is there for you at the heart of our learning community.
It is vitally important that schools and settings feel confident in the services they receive from educationGateshead.
To this end, educationGateshead has put in place many strategies to ensure the highest quality of support to you. These include:
- A rigorous staff appointment and selection process in line with Gateshead Council’s procedures;
- A thorough process for the performance management of all members of the education Gateshead team;
- On-going self-review and evaluation in response to both
- A commitment to high quality professional development for the educationGateshead team and the individuals within it, to ensure staff remain up to date, knowledgeable and ahead of the field
- Regular consultation and dialogue with schools and settings, through education Gateshead, to ensure we continue to meet your needs and expectations
How Can We Help You?
educationGateshead is there for you at the heart of our learning community!