Ethnic Minority and Traveller Achievement Service (EMTAS)
The team provides specialist support from locally based professionals, who have extensive knowledge and experience in successfully implementing strategies to effectively support teachers and other support staff, in meeting the needs of pupils who have English as an Additional language or are from the Gypsy Roma and Traveller communities.
- We will assess support and monitor progress of pupils who speak no English or are at early stages of language acquisition.
- We will assess support and monitor progress of Gypsy Roma Travellers (GRT).
- Support and provide guidance and training to all schools on anti-racism, faith, cultural and community integration issues.
- Home- school liaison and outreach support for English as an Additional Language (EAL), Ethnic Minority (EM), Refugee/Asylum pupils and GRT pupils.
- Mentor, advise and provide guidance to all staff on EAL, EM, Refugee/ Asylum seekers and GRT issues.
Benefits of using our service
- Our dedicated team provide proven expertise in developing good parental liaison, organising parental workshops and delivering innovative ideas and projects on working with EAL pupils
- Valuable support on issues such as anti-racism, faith, cultures and inclusion.
- We help you to deliver assemblies and organise ‘One World’ days, weeks and other multi- cultural projects.
- Knowledge and thorough understanding of how to secure British Council grants and projects
Key Account Manager
Manager of EMTAS
0191 433 8539
New Teaching Resource
We have recently produced a set of teaching materials about India.
The new resource comprises three powerpoint presentations, a teachers’ handbook and two pupil packs.
All are designed to support KS1 and KS2 geography teaching.
They can be downloaded for FREE here.
EMTAS 2014 (PDF)
EMTAS Parents Welcome Folder pages (PDF)
Gateshead Multi-Faith Calendar 2018
Partnership Visit 2015 (docx)
Traveller Resources (revised) (doc)
EMTAS Interpreter Booking Form Master (doc)
EMTAS Referral Form (doc)
School Hate Incident Reporting Form (doc)
Traveller Children and School Admissions and Attendance (doc)
Who are the Travellers (doc)
EMTAS Privacy Notice
“The response I had from the students was very positive and I hope that if you are available you would consider working with some of our other year groups in the near future”Lewis Thompson
How Can We Help You?
educationGateshead is there for you at the heart of our learning community!