NQTs in Gateshead
Congratulations on securing your first teaching post. We hope that you will enjoy working in Gateshead. We are sure you will find it an exciting and forward thinking place to work and develop your teaching career. We’re here to help make your first teaching year an unqualified success. We hope you find the information on this website useful and timely. If we can help in any way….please do contact us!
Gateshead LA acts as “the Appropriate body” during your NQT induction year and we are delighted to offer you a variety of training experiences and opportunities to enhance your learning. We will carry out all of the “official stuff” such as the range of administration forms and quality assurance to ensure you are getting the induction support that you deserve.
We offer two individual training progammes for NQTs
- Primary / Special NQT Programme
- Early Years NQT Programme
What do I need to have?
You need to have to have been awarded Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) to begin your induction period. This also includes having passed all three Skills Tests, if you have trained in England – those who trained in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are exempt from having to take the Skills Tests
Did you know?
You must register as an NQT within three weeks of starting in school – if you forget this will delay your induction until the day your completed Registration Form is received.
Newly Qualified Teacher LA Induction Training Programme
2019 – 2020
Our exciting Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT) induction programme has been updated and now includes curriculum focused sessions. It continues to be designed following consultation with Headteacher colleagues. Our aim is to provide NQTs with a welcome and introduction to the Gateshead learning community; develop them as reflective practitioners and provide support to school mentors.
What do you get from the programme?
- Phase based central courses – half day sessions delivered by the educationGateshead team
- Specialist sessions – to broaden the curriculum; delivered by some of our valued partners
- School based visits – supported opportunity to visit a school to look at good and outstanding teaching and learning practice
- Phase network meetings – will provide supported opportunities for NQTs to meet regularly with colleagues teaching within the same phase in school
- Mentor support – Primary (Melanie Maitland and Dawn Foster) and EYFS (Julie Mancini)
The centrally delivered courses which run across the year are offered as half or full days. Sessions offered will include the following:
- Essential safeguarding
- Supporting children with SEN
- Working with parents
- Accelerated thinking and learning
- Formative assessment
- Full day NQT Induction Conference
- Curriculum focused sessions across the key stages including literacy, maths and science
LA NQT Induction Co-ordinator
0191 433 8622
- NQT Induction Assessment First, Second and Interim Assessments (doc)
- NQT Assessment Form Final Assessment (doc)
- Example NQT Assessment (doc)
From Front Street Primary
- Guidance for Assessing against each Standard – with examples (doc)
- Meeting the NQT core standards – template (docx)
- NQT Induction (doc)
- Induction Diary (doc)
- Front Street NQT Policy (doc)
- Front Street NQT Target (doc)
- Front Street Review Sheet (doc)
From Oakfield Junior School
- NQT Preparation for Progress Review (docx)
- NQT Self-Evaluation Form 2015 (docx)
- NQT core standards – self-evaluation grid (doc)
- Preparation for Professional Development Review Meeting (doc)
Other Useful Documents
- Induction Registration
- Induction Flowchart (PDF)
- Record of NQT Meeting Minutes (docx)
- Objectives and Action Plan for the Induction Period (blank) (doc)
- Example Contents – NQT Mentor File (doc)
- Example NQT Action Plan and Review (doc)
- Example NQT Lesson Observation (doc)
- Example Release Timetable A (doc)
- Example Release Timetable B (doc)
- Release Timetable (doc)
How Can We Help You?
educationGateshead is there for you at the heart of our learning community!